[mythtv-users] Lircd won't start correctly

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Sun Oct 25 21:10:07 UTC 2015

On 10/25/2015 4:41 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 25/10/15 09:02, Nick Morrott wrote:
>
>> Have you tried starting lircd in non-daemon mode (i.e. running lircd
>> directly from the command line with appropriate options)?
>>
>> It might give more useful debug output than starting lircd as a service.
> Indeed. But even when running as daemon the logs are available using e.
> g., 'systemctl status lircd.service' or 'journalctl -b0 /usr/sbin/lircd'
>
> Cheers!
>
> --alec

Sorry for the long reply...didn't want to leave much out.

-Trying to install 0.9.3a-1, but getting some resistance.  Tried adding
the PPA links to /etc/apt/source.list, but the software updater
complained about it.  Then used command-line with:

don at andy:~$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

-Update and upgrade worked, but got this message at toward the end:
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net trusty InRelease: The following
signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
NO_PUBKEY B0319103FF2D1390

-Resolved the signatures with:
don at andy:~$ gpg --keyserver pgpkeys.mit.edu --recv-key B0319103FF2D1390
don at andy:~$ gpg -a --export B0319103FF2D1390 | sudo apt-key add -

-Tried install again:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

-Got this message at the end:
    lirc
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
don at andy:~$

-Tried installing directly with:
don at andy:~$ sudo apt-get install lirc

-All went well until the end...maybe I chose unwisely by hitting enter
on the lircd.conf question

Configuration file '/etc/lirc/lircd.conf'
  ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
  ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
    What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
     Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
     N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
       D     : show the differences between the versions
       Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
  The default action is to keep your current version.
*** lircd.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
/var/lib/dpkg/info/lirc.postinst: 5: /var/lib/dpkg/info/lirc.postinst:
systemd-tmpfiles: not found
dpkg: error processing package lirc (--configure):
  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
status 127
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.6) ...
  lirc

-Not sure what to try next.  By the way the version is now reported as
0.9.3a.  Startup is a little different, but still has errors. Any
suggestions on getting the installation corrected?

don at andy:~$ lircd -v
lircd 0.9.3a

don at andy:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/lirc start
modules                                                     [ OK ]
find: `/sys/class/rc/*/': No such file or directory
  * Starting remote control daemon(s) : [fail]
don at andy:~$

PS - Not sure  how to start lircd, other than with the start script.  My
installation doesn't  have systemctl or journalctl.

---