[mythtv-users] Trying To Get Two IR Receivers Working

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 17:41:26 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 7:56 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>

>> On 10/22/2015 8:56 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
>>

>>> Kirk, I checked the 4.2.4 and 4.3-rc6 kernel source and it does not have
>>> the fix.   I imagine this is because it may only be an issue with the
>>> combination of Liva's weird USB hardware and particular types of IR
>>> receivers, and it's not on the radar.  I looked through the link I sent you
>>> and it actually doesn't have the right fix (the one that worked for me).
>>> Here it is simply.
>>>
>>> In drivers/usb/core/config.c, in the default case of the switch
>>> statement at line 219 (in 4.2.4 anyway), there is a line "n = 32;".  Change
>>> it to "n = 10;".  Here's a link to the file:
>>>
>>> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/tree/drivers/usb/core/config.c?id=refs/tags/v4.2.4
>>>
>>> -Jerry
>>>

>> Thanks for doing this Jerry. If it's not under 4.2 and 4.3 it of course
>> won't be present in Fedora 22's kernel 4.1.That saves me a bunch of time
>> installing Fedora 23 Beta for no reason.
>>
>> Now I need to learn how to patch and install a custom kernel in Fedora
>> 22. It's been a *long* time since I've done that under any distro. I'm sure
>> I have all the tools since I had tried patching mceusb.ko to try to get my
>> Chinese IR receiver working. I assume there is a page somewhere with
>> instructions on compiling and installing under grub2, etc.
>>
>> Kirk
>>

> I wonder if there may be something else going on here, maybe
> Fedora-specific, or flakey hardware? I'm running self-compiled 4.0.5 (with
> the Gentoo patchset) on my ECS Liva and I've never had anything that looked
> like USB issues. I did verify that line in the source code is unmodified by
> Gentoo (mine still says n=32). Now granted, I've only tried one remote
> receiver and USB keyboard and one or two flash drives so my experience is
> not exactly broad, but a number of other people picked up an ECS Liva for
> use as a MythTV frontend and have virtually zero complaints about them. The
> only way to really test it is to install a different OS on it, which I
> gather you're unwilling to do.
>
> Karl

Karl, I think the problem has to do with the version of mce emulation the
IR receiver is using (in combination with the Liva/xHCI).  If your kernel
reports "mce emulator interface version 2" (which my Topseed receiver
does), it will not work on the Liva (and this seems to be true for both
Ubuntu and Debian).  If it says version 3, I think you'll be ok.

I don't see how it could be distribution-related, as it is a kernel-level
driver.

Kirk, sorry I can't help with kernel patching.  Not my area of expertise
and I'd give you more misinformation than useful data if I tried.

-Jerry