[mythtv-users] The future of Mythbuntu ISOs

Michael Wisniewski mikewiz38 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 13:53:10 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 6:38 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> 15.10 has just been released and the 16.04 LTS dev cycle is upon us, so
> it's that time again where the Mythbuntu team has work to do. However,
> being that our team is very small (1-3 semi-active members) and efforts to
> get more people involved have been unsuccessful we are entertaining the
> idea of not doing ISOs anymore.
>
> What this means for Mythbuntu devs
> * No work done on testing ISOs. We would still provide daily builds of the
> fixes and master repos.
>
> What this means for users
> * Current users would be able to upgrade as usual and the packaging
> updates will continue to happen.
> * New users will need to install Ubuntu server and then use apt to install
> the necessary packages for MythTV.
>
> Please let me know of any questions or comments you have (or offers to
> help).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Mashos
> Mythbuntu developer
> --
> Thomas Mashos

I've used Mythbuntu for my FE and just the PPA's for my backend.  It's just
my two cents, but I would probably skip the ISO but just replace it with a
set of instructions on how to get it up and running.  I think that getting
it up and running is easy, but once users start updating the system, it
needs a bit more finesse and it's almost 'out of baseline'.

I would be sad to see if the PPA's go away because myth was painful to
compile.  It's easier now with installing dependencies through apt now, but
even still, I find much value in the PPA.

Some may say that by not distributing the livecd, you will turn new users
off to myth.  I would agree, but would also say that configuring myth is
not for the amateur user.  There's many variables and tuning that goes
along with it that needs to be done.  I would say that if users are tech
savy enough to install a tuner card or hdhomerun network device, then they
can figure out how to do 'apt-get install mythtv'.

Mike