[mythtv-users] The future of Mythbuntu ISOs

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Thu Oct 22 23:55:27 UTC 2015

On 23/10/2015 00:38, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> 15.10 has just been released and the 16.04 LTS dev cycle is upon us,
> so it's that time again where the Mythbuntu team has work to do.
> However, being that our team is very small (1-3 semi-active members)
> and efforts to get more people involved have been unsuccessful we are
> entertaining the idea of not doing ISOs anymore.
>
> What this means for Mythbuntu devs
> * No work done on testing ISOs. We would still provide daily builds of
> the fixes and master repos.
>
> What this means for users
> * Current users would be able to upgrade as usual and the packaging
> updates will continue to happen.
> * New users will need to install Ubuntu server and then use apt to
> install the necessary packages for MythTV.
>
> Please let me know of any questions or comments you have (or offers to
> help).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Mashos
> Mythbuntu developer
This is sad to hear. I have used the Mythbuntu ISO's excursively for a
long time now. Can't stand all of the bloat that comes with Ubuntu.

I can't complain though. Your team do a great job, so if you're not
getting the support to justify the ISO's then you need to do what you
need to do.

Thanks for all that you do do! You've transformed MythTV from a hideous
process into something that 'just works' the vast majority of the time.

I assume that there's a light xfce ubuntu distro that could still be
used as a base for a Mythbuntu install? I'm sure it will require a bit
more messing with, but again, you're doing all of this for free so we
can't grumble!!

Cheers,
Damian