[mythtv-users] Finally updated my system, but VDPAU doesn't work

backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org
Tue Oct 20 01:53:58 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009, at 10:49 PM, backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org wrote:

>>> Just to be clear, it only has 512MB. Not sure what difference that
>>> would make for VDPAU
>>
>> That's right.  I got mixed up with another card I was looking at.
>>
>> I'm going to give it a try.  I'll report back when I see how well
>> it works.
>
> OK I got it.  Actually came Monday but just had a chance now to put it
> in.  The good, the bad, and the ugly:
>
> Good:  VDPAU works with this card.   No update to the driver or
> anything.  I have a hunch my dell OEM 8300GS was really a 7000-
> based card.

<<SNIP the rest of this stuff>>

That quoted stuff above is just a blast from the past  when I got a new
video card.  I had been happily running mythbuntu 10.04 LTS the last
five years except it was starting to get less happy as it got long in
the tooth (i.e. live tv didn't work any more, had troubles running newer
browsers when I wanted to watch through-the-browser streaming stuff.)  I
did the "if  it ain't broke, don't fix it" for as long as I could, but
it was time.

The mythbuntu update wouldn't run (too old I guess) and clean installs
are better so I downloaded  both 12.04 LTS and 14.04 LTS.  I could only
get the 12.04 DVD to boot however, and that was after I figured out to
add acpi=off and irqpoll to the boot options.  So I now have only a
three year old system ;-)

I restored a backup of my old 10.04 system and mythtv upgraded the
database and I had a new system.  However, I could not get it to play
any shows.  I'd get a couple of seconds of sound, then some more, and
then nothing, with Xorg taking up 100% of a core.  I had to ssh to
reboot - only option.

Looking at the logs, I see that it was timing out waiting for video
buffers.  I did a search on this and the few instances I saw didn't
seem to apply.

Finally, I switched from VDPAU (normal) to OpenGL for playback and
everything worked.  So yes, I can watch my shows now.  However, I
have to turn the volume  up since the fan starts churning keeping the
CPU cool.  This processing is supposed to be done on the card, but I
can't get it to work.  I quoted my 6-year-old message above to
indicate that yes, this card does indeed work with VDPAU (or at least
it did back then).

To try the usual suspects, I activated the fixes options and upgraded
all the way to Myth 0.27 (12.04 is just 0.25 normally).  I did a
complete dist-upgrade so I have everything latest (at least for the old
LTS release).  I am running the 304 driver, and vdpauinfo says I have
VDPAU available.

The only thing I can think of is that card has only 512 MB of on board
memory.  Has the minimum gone up to 1 GB in the last few years?

The motherboard/CPU is old (core 2 duo), but that shouldn't be a
problem, since even atoms work so long as you have a good nvidia card.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks.

JS.

If it is insufficient memory, maybe it's time for this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125427&cm_re=nvidia_gt610-_-14-125-427-_-Product