[mythtv-users] [Bulk] enter keypress after pin entry

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Sun Oct 18 09:59:46 UTC 2015

On 18/10/15 04:54, Mark Perkins wrote:
> Hoping for some guidance on where to look to resolve this very little
> - but long term - annoyance.
>
> I have PIN numbers (numbers only, no other characters) on my recording
> groups so that when the kids use the remotes as trampolines it at
> least slows them down a bit. I use a Flirc with the 'enter' key on my
> remote bound to the 'enter' keypress. And everything works fine -
> except for the 'enter' keypress after keying in the PIN number. With
> the on-screen keyboard enabled, pressing 'enter' on the remote (or an
> attached keyboard) will cause the onscreen keyboard to be displayed.
> With the onscreen keyboard disabled pressing 'enter' on the remote (or
> an attached keyboard) does nothing.  To progress I need to use the
> arrow keys to select the 'Ok' button on the PIN entry popup window
> first, then press 'enter'.
>
> If I bring up a terminal window pressing 'enter' on the remote
> generates a newline in the terminal window as expected (as does
> pressing enter on an attached keyboard).
>
> I would like to be able to just press the number keys followed by
> 'enter' without having to navigate to the 'Ok' button first (as it is
> confusing for people who come to visit). Any suggestions on how I
> might be able to achieve this? Is it a theming question (I essentially
> use Mythbuntu theme) or do I need to tweak something else?

I agree it can be annoying but it's not a bug it actually doing what it
is supposed to. As part of the MythUI design plan the active widget (the
edit in this case) gets all key presses first and only passes them on if
it doesn't handle them. Edits by design need all printable characters as
well as a few others like arrow and enter keys to navigate or show the
popup keyboard.

I don't think there is an easy solution to this problem that won't make
things more confusing and require more things to set up for the user. We
could introduce new keybindings to show the keyboard or to act as a
default to mean 'OK' was clicked on a screen similar to 'ESCAPE' but we
know from experience may users don't even know the keybindings exist let
alone how to change them to suit their own needs.

Paul H.