[mythtv-users] auto-restarting mythbackend

glen glenb at glenb.us
Fri Oct 16 18:26:12 UTC 2015

geary mail - arch linux

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca>
wrote:
> On Friday, October 16, 2015 05:46:38 PM Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>>  On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 12:15 AM, Jerome Yuzyk
>> <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
>>  > What are people doing about restarting mythbackend when it fails?
>>
>>  I am curious as to how often you find it fails?  I cannot remember
>>  the last time (with 0.27) my BE has failed.  While there are almost
>>  certainly still bugs in the code, there was a lot of effort with
>> 0.27
>>  to resolve the reported segfaults, and (using static analysis) fix
>>  possible (even if unlikely) failure paths.  I have seen systems with
>>  hardware issues where the BE has failed, but I believe that fixing
>>  the hardware is really the correct fix for that (the BE is just the
>>  canary in the coal mine.  Replacing the canary is not a good fix).
>>

> Trying out firewire recording from my DCX-3200, I've had a few, like
> the one I provided as a sample. I can pretty much guarantee a crash
> from some channels, after 0-byte recordings. At least if I can get
> mythbackend to restart so later recordings aren't missed, I can ride
> out the weekend and then put my HDPVR in place. I have a message
> queued to report on my experiences with it.
>
> Up until this round of experimenting I've only ever had the FE blow
> out, and that was in my over-pushed 0.21 setup. But if I can get
> auto-restart built in  I figure that's a good thing in any event.
>
> --
> A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca

i have similar issues with firewire on that box. my device and model
id's are not in firewire.cpp, i won't know if adding them will help
until they added by dev or i compile myself.

but, i only have problem when computer resumes from sleep. then if am
home i would have to restart backend to get a successful firewire
recording even though plugreport looks right. i also have priming
script in the resume scripts. sometimes i have to run firewiretester
several times (while tuned to same channel) before packets are sent.

you may benefit from 'priming' the firewire. i can send you the script
that i found works best with that box. also what mode are you recording
in ? broadcast or p2p. i find p2p is much more reliable.