[mythtv-users] Mythlink Questions

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Oct 13 14:07:45 UTC 2015

On 13/10/15 11:54, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/10/2015 04:27 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> These just have a filename consisting of Channel ID plus date and time the recording started.
>
> because--regardless of the user's file system choice and system locale settings (including character
> set and encoding)--a file name with just numerals and a "simple" extension (.mpg or .nuv, for
> example) can be represented.  When we tried to allow the use of actual titles and subtitles and such
> in the file name, users ended up with broken recordings because some of the characters were not
> representable/usable with their file system/locale settings.
>
> Therefore, as Mike P said, if you want to take over management of the file and file name, the best
> (and only supported) solution is to move that file to Video Library (Watch Videos), which is your
> library of videos "worth keeping".

By the way, as a matter of database design, the filenames of recordings fail the rule which says not
to put metadata in the filename. I know why you did it, so don't get upset.

It would have been a *lot* simpler just to add an integer unique key to the recordings table and
used that for the filename - perhaps with some simple prefix like 'R_' but a number will do. Doing
that would have made the work of identifying a particular recording in the storage directory, for
diagnostic purposes, /so/ much easier.

The rest of the information is in the database anyway should it be required.

--

Mike Perkins