[mythtv-users] Comcast switching to MPEG-4 in Portland, OR, October 27, 2015

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sun Oct 11 04:44:00 UTC 2015

On 10/10/2015 06:26 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 1:01 AM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:
>>  From the SiliconDust website I think I see that my model supports MPEG-4,
>> but I'm not 100 percent sure.
> The HDHomeRun Prime is stream content/format agnostic(*)
> (it just moves the bits in the MPEG2-TS container based
> on the PIDs selected).  That the stream encoded in MPEG2, or
> H.264, or even (a theoretical future) H.265 does not matter
> to the Prime.

Okay.

> Note that while the HDHR Prime is format agnostic, there are
> some (usually much older) GPUs that may be challenged
> with H.264, or if you are running a really old MythTV version
> you may have to upgrade (or a really old system that is
> right on the edge for software decoding).

My GF119 [GeForce GT 610] is just about a year and a half old.

> In most markets Comcast (in their bills and letters) tell
> you to tune to a channel to verify if you can display
> the content.  Try to (manually) record and play a few
> minutes (in Atlanta, the first "major" market after the
> test bed, there was also a Golf channel for testing in
> addition to the barker test channel).

This letter didn't mention that. I'll have to dig out a bill and see if
it says anything about testing.

> It should be noted that some (older generation) TiVo owners
> are likely impacted too (and since according to most counts
> the plurality of CableCARD renters are TiVo owners, that
> is probably why they told you to check your CableCARD).

Their letter does mention TiVo Series 3, so that fits with your analysis.

Thanks. It sounds like I'll be fine.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens