[mythtv-users] USB IR Receivers For LIRC

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Oct 8 17:29:03 UTC 2015

On 08/10/15 16:10, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 08/10/15 15:36, Mike Perkins wrote:
>
>> Be aware that, while the daemon is packaged with eg. Debian, the version
>> of LIRC may not include the driver. I had to download the iguanaIR
>> source and rebuild LIRC (to pick up the libraries) in order for the two
>> to communicate.
>>
>> Whether the iguanaIR driver for LIRC is included obviously depends on
>> your distro version. It wasn't in mine (wheezy).
>
> This is basically true for all debian-based distributions. For some reason the Debian version i
> still 0.9.0 [1]
>
> That said, with the usual limitations (no blasting...) you should be able to use the kernel iguana
> module + the LIRC devinput driver.  This does not require the userspace daemon or LIRC
> recompilation, it only requires a recent kernel.
>
> For those distros with a modern lirc built without the iguana support, it's just a question of
> compiling the driver (i. e., a plugin). This is a minor issue compared to rebuilding LIRC. Of
> course, these creatures can also use the devinput option.
>
> Cheers!

Of course, I need blasting... The recommended way to include the iguanaIR driver from the
instructions at:

http://www.iguanaworks.net/wiki/doku.php?id=usbir:compilelirc#compiling_under_ubuntu_deb

Add the debian repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list file
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install iguanair
sudo apt-get build-dep lirc
sudo apt-get -b source lirc
sudo dpkg -i lirc_0.*.deb

That looks to me like building LIRC from source.

--

Mike Perkins