[mythtv-users] USB IR Receivers For LIRC

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Thu Oct 8 16:29:41 UTC 2015

On 10/8/2015 9:15 AM, Tom Bongiorno wrote:

> Although I agree, I think it is hard to grasp how easy flirc is to use
> without having one. There are limitations such as no IR blasting,
> special keypress modes, and maybe some other obscure tweaker stuff.
> Most irexec stuff could easily be replaced with built-in keyboard
> shortcuts. My guess is that 95% of MythTV users would find this to be
> the easiest solution that just works. As I read this thread, it is
> hard to believe that anyone would consider any LIRC solution to be
> easier than flirc.
>
> All that said, if I had a reason to use LIRC, I would probably go down
> the MCE route. It will probably be the most mainstream and well
> supported route long term even though the WMC software is EOL.

Rather moot, alas, as the flirc appears to be unavailable.

I disagree with using the built-in keyboard shortcuts as an answer
however. My instance of mythfrontend is run from a loop in
.bash_profile. If mythfrontend crashes (all too frequent an event), X
will exit and everything will be restarted. I use ir-exec to
intentionally kill X and thus restart mythfrontend. Very helpful when
myth is hung.