[mythtv-users] Debug Atom/Ion HDMI audio?

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 20:49:59 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 11:08 AM, HP-mini <blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-10-06 at 22:19 -0700, Tom Harris wrote:
> > I recently switched my frontend to a Zotac Zbox with an Atom 330 and
> > Ion GPU.  I've worked out most of the issues, but still have one
> > remaining problem that I'm having a hard time debugging.
> >

> > The audio has very frequent dropouts, where there will be no sound for
> > a fraction of a second.  These little hiccups are sometimes bad enough
> > to be unwatchable.
> >

> > - The program seems to be okey.  I've played the same video on my TV
> > via DNLP and it played perfectly.
> > - The video shows no interruption, only the audio has problems.
> > - Audio/Video output is over HDMI to a Yamaha soundbar
> >

> > In the past, I had used this hardware for a myth frontend.  At that
> > time my display was 720p, it's now doing 1080p.  Could 1080p be
> > stressing the Ion?
> >

> > I tried running mythfrontend with "-verbose audio" and didn't get any
> > audio logs.  Any pointers on how to debug the audio issue?
> >

> Changing the display from 720p to 1080p could tax the ION box more or
> less but depends on source material resolution.
> Video is decoded at its actual resolution & then post-processed
> (de-interlace/scale etc).
> Post-processing is the IONs weak point.
> Easy: 720p (source) -->720p (presentation)
> Hard: 480i (s) --> 1080p (pres)

All of my content is US broadcast MPEG2 at 720p 1080i.   I am, of course,
doing VDPAU decoding, and I changed the deinterlace from the default method
which was a 2x deinterlacer to a simpler one.   But, that hasn't seemed to
make any difference.

> logs from the frontend:
> mythfrontend --verbose playback > feplayback.log
>
> IIRC The ION does not allow HDA ELD reporting.

I'll try 'playback'..  I should have tried that before, but I was thinking
of that more for video issues and I went for the 'audio' option.

Thanks for the response!