[mythtv-users] USB IR Receivers For LIRC

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Wed Oct 7 18:58:38 UTC 2015

I thought I'd start a new thread since our other one got mixed in with
some ECS Liva stuff.

I want to know if anyone knows of any currently available USB IR
receivers that just work with LIRC and a standard Linux distro. That
means on being plugged in they load a kernel driver and create a
/dev/lirc interface.

Tom Bongiorno has pointed towards http://flirc.tv/. But that sounds like
a keyboard interface and lots of programming and work-arounds and grief.

I was also directed to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-RC2604315-01BG-Media-Center-Remote-Control-USB-IR-Receiver-OVU710018-01-/251421736049?

(Sorry forgot who) But it turns out that user was using it with Kodi or
something similar and not LIRC. I just never got it to work despite
patching the mceusb.ko source and lots of work removing the default
keyboard interface.

There must be something out there. I took my *ancient* Microsoft branded
IR receiver, plugged it into my brand new ECS Liva running Fedora 21 and
LIRC 0.9.1a and it *Just Worked*.

There must be something else out there!