[mythtv-users] ECS LIVA Frontend

Tom Bongiorno tbjr at bongohut.com
Wed Oct 7 17:31:30 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 1:24 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> On 10/7/2015 10:14 AM, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
>
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>

>> On 10/7/2015 10:00 AM, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
>>

>>> It does not use LIRC. It looks like a keyboard to the computer. There is
>>> a program that you run on Linux, Windows, or Mac to map your remote's IR
>>> codes to keyboard keys. It is extremely easy to program. The process is
>>> similar to a learning universal remote.
>>>

>> Can it use third-party, generic programmable IR remotes such as the ones
>> recently put forward here? Is that what this program does?

> The flirc receiver does not care what remote you use. Here is a picture of
> the programming app:
>
> https://flirc.tv/image/catalog/keyboardDeluxepopUp.jpg
>
> The programming, or pairing as they call it, goes like this:
> 1) plug receiver
> 2) click the 'M' key on the virtual keyboard in the app
> 3) press the "Menu" button on your favorite remote
> 4) repeats steps 2 & 3 for every key/button combo you want to program
>
> Now every time you press the "Menu" button on your favorite remote, the
> computer and MythTV frontend software think that you pressed the 'M' key on
> a real keyboard. The same goes for all the key/button combos that you
> programmed.
>

> So how does that work when you're running a barebones X + Mythfrontend
> setup and don't have a full Linux desktop installed? I guess that's why I
> keep asking about LIRC. I know how to get things to work with LIRC.

You do not need to run the app on your barebones X + Mythfrontend setup
that doesn't have a full Linux desktop installed. Run it on a spare
computer that has a full OS installed. Program the receiver on that
computer, and then plug it into your frontend. The configuration is not
stored on the computer, but rather the receiver itself.