[mythtv-users] ECS LIVA Frontend

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Wed Oct 7 17:29:15 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> On 10/7/2015 8:52 AM, Karl Newman wrote:
>

>> I don't think Intel video supports VDPAU so when you had it selected it
>> was probably falling back to software/OpenGL. Try VAAPI instead. Not quite
>> as good as VDPAU, especially in deinterlacing, but many people find it
>> acceptable. I understand the open source AMD/ATI driver supports VDPAU (not
>> sure about its capabilities) but I haven't heard about any AMD-based micro
>> computers similar to the Liva, etc. They may exist; I haven't actively
>> searched for them.
>>

> Yes, that's where I have been for a couple of months now. Yes, VAAPI is
> not as good as Nvidia + VDPAU. Yes, I find it acceptable. Where I see it
> most is in scrolls such as in newsfeeds or sportscasts. They tend to be
> jerky.
>
> I am willing to deal with it to have a $100 8 watt playback device.
>
> Now if I could just find a USB IR receiver that works with LIRC and is
> actually for sale.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VRC-1100_Ortek_Technology_MCE_Clone_Remote or
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Adesso_ARC-1100 (same remote, different
branding)
I'm using this with my (Gentoo) Liva. I'm not using LIRC, but the first
link gives details on how to make it work with LIRC and the devinput
driver. I just looked for a cheap "MCE" remote off amazon and this is what
I got. It wasn't a big deal to get it working, but did require a bit of
fiddling with ir-keytable. My config is at the bottom of the second link,
under the "Alternate Configuration" heading.

Karl