[mythtv-users] OT: Samba (?) Issue

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 15:10:36 UTC 2015

Hoi Kirk,

> On 10/7/2015 7:05 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>> I usually rely on other Linux resources for help with Linux stuff
>> that's not Myth related, but have come up empty this time. Does anyone
>> know what to do about this error message?
>>
>> I'm running mostly Ubuntu 12.04, but also have a Linux Mint laptop
>> (don't recall the version, but it's one that works on an older laptop,
>> vintage 2006). Until yesterday morning I was able to connect to other
>> machines in the house. Now, the icons for those machines are missing,
>> and when I double click on the Windows Network icon in a Nautilus
>> window I get a pop-up that says,
>>
>> Unable to mount location
>> Failed to retrieve share list from server
>>
>> Searching the Internet turned up a number of recommendations, but they
>> have not helped. I tried restarting smbd, and nmbd, with no change. I
>> tried restarting the machine with no improvement, either. My wife has
>> a Win-7 machine, and I can see and transfer files from one of my
>> Ubuntu machines while sitting at her machine.
>>
>> Where is the "share list" kept? And which machine is the "server", or
>> does each machine serve as it's own server?
>>
>> Hints on where to look for how to solve this will be appreciated.
>>

> I had something similar on my mythbackend host. Adding this:

>      Max Protocol = SMB2

> to the global section of smb.conf solved my problem. Another user here
> had a similar problem and this fixed it at least for awhile in his case.

This sounds like a wins problem. Wins is since ancient times used by
Microsoft for the browselists and still uses the netbios protocol.
Although encapsulated in tcp-ip. Samba runs a wins server, but every
ms windows machine also keeps a list. This means that a misbehaving
machine can make it not work. Samba keeps the browselist in a text
file: /var/lib/samba/wins.dat.
If there are problems you have to shutdown all windows machines,
delete the above mentioned file and then bring up samba, wait a few
minutes and hope that the misbehaving machine listens to the wins
server on samba. There are also ways to clear the browselist on the
windows machines. The problem is that they all the time copy from each
other.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven