[mythtv-users] Running MythTV on CentOS

Larry Kennedy lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 00:56:44 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> On 10/6/2014 11:22 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In fact, looking at my CentOS5 install, I was able to do a parallel
>>> qt3/qt47
>>> install leaving some qt3 packages in place:
>>>
>> Yes, absolutely qt 3.3 and qt4.7 can coexist.  But some
>> packages (may) depend on qt4.6 (and while qt4.6 and
>> qt4.7 can coexist, they do, by default, try to occupy
>> some of the same name space, so one has to relocate
>> the "other" qt4 elsewhere in the file system hierarchy).
>>
>> Of course, in the end, an "out of compliance" RHEL
>> installation (--nodeps) is just another hobby.  One picks
>> the hobby one prefers.  Sometimes it is based on your
>> hammer (a sledge will suggest different hobbies than
>> a embossing jewelry hammer).
>>

> What I think are going to be the minimum necessary qt48 packages for Myth
> 27.3 mythbackend installed just fine on top of the existing CentOS 6
> packages without error.
>
> $yum list qt\*
> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
>  * extras: mirror.hmc.edu
>  * updates:
> Installed Packages
> qt.x86_64                     1:4.6.2-28.el6_5         @updates
> qt-sqlite.x86_64              1:4.6.2-28.el6_5         @updates
> qt-x11.x86_64                 1:4.6.2-28.el6_5         @updates
> qt3.x86_64                    3.3.8b-30.el6
> @anaconda-CentOS-201207061011.x86_64/6.3
> qt48.x86_64                   1:4.8.5-8.el6            @screpo
> qt48-mysql.x86_64             1:4.8.5-8.el6            @screpo
> qt48-webkit.x86_64            1:4.8.5-8.el6            @screpo
> qt48-x11.x86_64               1:4.8.5-8.el6            @screpo

Does anyone know if mythtv 0.26 is compatible with the qt48 library?  I'm
still on mythtv 0.26, largely because the EL6 qt issue was a blocker (at
least up until scrpms provided the packages I need).  I've been
procrastinating on the 0.27 upgrade, but I'm starting to see compelling
reasons to make the move, including the latest Android client discussed on
this forum.

I have 3 FEs (two Livas running Mythbuntu 12 and one EL6 box) and 1 BE
(EL6), so my plan is to get all the dependencies in place FIRST (largely,
qt48, but also any nvidia and related kmdls/kernel upgrades), and then as a
last step, pull in the mythtv 0.27 rpms.