[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HVR-4000: can't switch from terrestrial to satellite

Alan Ferrero alanf at tin.it
Mon Oct 5 13:07:11 UTC 2015

Hi all!

My HTPC runs an old 64 bit Mythbuntu version (9.10) and 0.24 Myth-TV
from the JYA repos.

All things considered I'm pretty happy with it because everything works
(more and less!) just fine and that's the reason why I wouldn't be very
willing to upgrade to a newer version.

However I recently found out a big problem afflicting the Hauppauge
HVR-4000 (the TV card I chose for my system): when watching a
terrestrial channel there's no way I can switch to a satellite one! If I
try to switch, the Front-End hangs for a few seconds and then crashes.

I honestly admit I didn't notice before because up until recently
I never really used terrestrial, only satellite TV: when I configured my
system to use them both the issue appeared.

It seems the problem is known (see here:
http://www.mythtvtalk.com/switching-between-dvb-s-dvb-t-myth-0-22-mythbuntu-9-10-hvr-4000-a-12350/)
and must also be pointed out that support for the HVR-4000 in kernel
2.6.31 is (to say the very least) rather problematic!

I followed the wiki
(http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-4000#Drivers) and
patched the driver; I even installed the newest firmware but to no avail!

Unfortunately BE/FE logs say nothing really useful about it.

I would rule out an hardware fault, because in the Back-End I can scan
for (sat) channels.

Do you suggest me to upgrade the whole driver as detailed here:
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers
?

I would like to hear your opinions and learned how users who had (or
still have) my
same TV card fixed the issue.

Thanks!

Alan