[mythtv-users] Pixelation Cause

Michael Wisniewski mikewiz38 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 00:27:48 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 12:41 AM, Michael Wisniewski <mikewiz38 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I was wondering if Myth has an option to determine if it's a transport
> > problem (coax) or network problem.
>
> TTBOMK there is no current collection/reporting of that information for
> the HDHR devices.  There is a patch pending review that would (optionally,
> at elevated verbosity) report such statuses at the conclusion of a
> recording.
> You might want to patch your installation and confirm it works in your
> environment.  The ticket is https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11565

Thanks for the response.  I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for the backend with
the mythbuntu ppa's.  I ended up starting a virtual machine with the same
OS (14.04 server).  I then followed the instructions at the URL here:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Dekarl/Testing_patches_on_Mythbuntu

After I got the source, I downloaded the "hdhrstreamhandler.cpp" patch file
from the URL in the ticket.  I just copied the file over the existing file
and continued onto the rest of the "Testing_patched_on_Mythbuntu" site.  I
finally installed the proper package on my test virtual machine.  The
package that uses the newly patched file is installed with:

$ dpkg -i
libmyth-0.27-0_0.27.5+fixes.20150930.2ad3158-0ubuntu0mythbuntu3_amd64.deb

It will install a file to...

/usr/lib/libmythtv-0.27.so.0.27.0

This is the file that is the patched version of the hdhrstreamhandler.  I
then copied that file to my real mythbackend and edited the init script so
the mythbackend line reads:

LANG=$LANG exec /usr/bin/mythbackend -v record --syslog local7 --user
mythtv --daemon

A quick reboot, and it's now putting the stream stats into the debug log.

I'm sure there's a better way to patch the file because when myth updates,
chances of this file getting overwritten and undoing the stream stats are
pretty high.  I just wanted to throw this out there so if anybody else
wants to do it, you know how to.