[mythtv-users] Pilots and Premieres power search anyone?

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 22:04:36 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 09/29/2015 11:35 AM, Jim wrote:
>>
>> On 9/29/2015 10:32 AM, Kenneth Emerson wrote:
>>>
>>> I have used Doug's power search with a few more categories added, and
>>> it is working fine for the new season.  My question is this: Once I've
>>> decided I don't want to watch a particular series and I select the
>>> Edit Recording Rule for that program and tell it to never record, does
>>> that affect the power search rule or is there a separate rule created
>>> for each match the power search finds?  I'm afraid that I'll affect
>>> all of the other series that are being recorded.
>>>
>>> If it is the former, how do I change the rule under which the series I
>>> want to keep is recorded? (i.e. remove it from the power search rule
>>> and give it its own).
>>
>> That is only going to record the pilot shows.
>> You have to watch it and decide if you want to continue recording that
>> show.
>> If you do then you must create a rule for that specific show.
>> If you don't like it - do nothing.
>>

> Alternatively, create the rule and set it to inactive.  Then, the rule will
> match first episodes, but won't record anything.  So, at the start of fall
> season, mid season, and summer season, you can go through your Upcoming
> Recordings list, find all of the matches (marked to not record because the
> rule is inactive) and, if you decide you want to record the series, create
> an any time/all channels rule for the series.  This way, you don't have to
> watch the premieres immediately (or risk missing episodes because you were
> behind) and when you get around to watching, you can either keep the
> rule/recordings or delete them if you decide it's not worth watching.  This
> approach notifies you of new shows to allow you to create new rules for the
> series.  Usually, it takes me a couple of times looking at Upcoming
> Recordings to create the rules for the new season/mid-season because they
> spread out the premieres over about a month, and I only have 2 weeks data.
>
> With this approach, there's no reason to do a "Never Record", either.  If
> you don't want to record the show, just don't make a rule for it and since
> the "First Episodes" rule is inactive, it won't even record the first
> episode.  This is actually good because all of those "Never Record" rules
> slow down scheduling a little bit each (where scheduling performance is
> related to the number of programs (often related to the number of channels),
> the number of "previously recorded" programs, and the number of recording
> rules (including Never Records, etc.)).  And if you'd like to clear out
> old/no-longer-necessary recording rules, use the frontend's Manage
> Recordings|Recording Rules interface, and to clear out
> old/no-longer-necessary recording history (i.e. you've already recorded and
> watched an entire series that has run to completion and deleted the
> recording rule for that series), use the frontend's Manage
> [...]

Thanks, Mike, and to all the others that answered.  I used Mike's
suggestion and that works quite well from the front-end (not so well
in the web I/F).  Although, I had to really search to find the
'Inactive' switch.  Looking at the Upcoming Recordings, the ones that
are inactive are marked with an 'X'.  Choosing one and hitting enter,
I choose override rule which appears to create a new rule for that
series.  Now, I just need to remember to check for this about once a
week or ten days!

-- Ken E.