[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 frontend testers

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Mon Nov 30 19:09:15 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-11-28 at 12:50 -0500, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> On 11/27/2015 03:46 PM, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> >> Overscan settings in config.txt fix this for most applications, but not
> >> for MythTV frontend.
> >> eglfs - overscan settings seem to be completely ignored.
> >> xcb - overscan settings are partially used, the width of picture is
> >> reduced but the position is still top left so you  lose the top and left
> >> of the GUI and get extra space at the bottom and right.
> > OK, I believe that I've fixed the video window positioning problem
> > together with a number of other problems.  I've posted a new build here:
> > http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythtv-v0.27.5-80-g65d2de0-RPI2.tar.bz2
> >
> > I've also updated the fixes-0.27-rpi2 git branch and updated the
> > mythbuild.sh script:
> > http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythbuild.sh
> >
> > Finally I've added a master-rpi2 branch and a build here:
> > http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythtv-v0.28-pre-3207-g1678991-RPI2.tar.bz2
> >
> I installed the new build. The window positioning and video positioning
> are now correct in xcb. With eglfs the problem is still as before -
> window size is correct but positioning wrong, playback size and
> positioning are both wrong.

I believe that the EGLFS window positioning problem is a design choice
in Qt.  In EGLFS mode, Qt assumes total ownership of the screen and so
doesn't honour window positioning requests.  It may be possible to
workaround this (I'll try a few more things later this week) but
hopefully Qt will fix the 'feature' in a later version.

> > Subtitles
> > I am not seeing subtitles with either xcb or eglfs.
> > With normal front end on a particular show I get a choice of ATSC CC1
> > Subtitles or VBI CC1 subtitles. Either of these shows the same
> > subtitles, I don't know why two are shown.
> > With Raspberry Pi frontend I only see ATSC CC1 as a choice. Selecting it
> > says "Subtitles enabled" but they never appear on the screen.
> > I believe that the problem is a missing libass-dev package.  It's an
> > optional lib that's used for certain types of subtitle - I've never seen
> > a difference in the UK so it must be an ATSC issue.  The new
> > mythbuild.sh adds this lib and is included in the updated build.  You
> > will need to install libass4 on the Rpi to use this.
>
> I already had libass4 installed. With the new build I am still not
> seeing subtitles.

OK, I think a need another favour - could you post a small recording
which demonstrates the subtitle problem.  Thanks.

-- Lawrence Rust