[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 frontend testers

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 24 20:04:31 UTC 2015

On 11/23/2015 06:09 AM, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-11-22 at 12:41 -0500, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
>> On 11/17/2015 02:24 PM, Lawrence Rust wrote:
>>> If anyone would like to try it and provide some feedback then checkout
>>> the fixes-0.27-rpi2 branch from here:
>>> http://www.softsystem.co.uk/git/mythtv.git
>>>

>> I have done some more testing and I now have this set up on my kitchen
>> TV. It is working great and perfectly usable. Some issues I noticed:
>>
>> 1. Video is jerky and audio is interrupted when running stand alone
>> (QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs). It works fine (no jerkiness) under xwindows
>> (QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb). So I am using it with xwindows. Following
>> observations are in  that environment.
> Are you using HDMI audio?  If so, this may be a bug that I need to look
> at.
>
>> 2. If you try to compensate for tv overscan by making the picture
>> smaller in /boot/config.txt or by using appearance setup in the mythtv
>> frontend setup, the video is shown at the requested smaller size but the
>> offset is not used, so a small video comes at the top left hand side of
>> the screen instead of centered. This only affects video playback, the
>> GUI menus and lists honor the settings correctly. You can make the video
>> smaller using the zoom feature while playing and that works correctly.
> I wasn't sure exactly how all the zooming, centring etc worked in Myth
> so I took a best guess.  Following the existing NVidia and Xv code was
> gruelling.   I will go back and check.
>
>> 3. If you pull up the menu while playing a recording (M key) or other
>> OSD displays such as Info (I key), the video becomes jerky while the OSD
>> is displayed.
> This indicates that the OSD is falling back to CPU rendered softblend.
> The opengl OSD uses EGL and requires Qt to run in EGLFS mode.
>
> I really need to find out why the EGLFS mode is jerky on some RPi's.  I
> have 2 RPis and they both play smoothly in EGLFS mode with SD and 1080p
> video.  I have these settings in /boot/config.txt:
>
> disable_overscan=1
> hdmi_drive=2
> # 1920x1080 @ 50Hz 16:9, clock:148MHz progressive
> hdmi_group=1
> hdmi_mode=31
>
>> 4. Subtitles do not work. You can select them but they do not display.
> I see subtitles on liveTV (BBC 1) and on DVD playback.  Maybe this is
> something to do with the opengl OSD only being available with EGLFS
> mode.  What happens if you select softblend in TV settings?
>
>> Great job. I hope we can get this in the official build. The above are
>> minor issues and if they are restrictions that will be OK in my opinion.
> My hope too.  Unfortunately, I've not had a lot of success in getting my
> patches included.  I'll work at resolving the problems you identified.
>
> -- Lawrence Rust

Hi Lawrence

I am using analog audio in all cases.

I retested eglfs and compared it to xcb. I am using a 1080i recording.
See attached file mediainfo.txt for info about it.

eglfs - Jerky playback on a 1280x1024 DVI screen and using analog audio.
xcb - smooth playback, no jerkiness in this case

eglfs - smooth playback on an analog TV (I think it is treated as
720x480 by raspberry pi) composite with analog audio
xcb - also smooth playback in this case

I have an old analog TV and the edges of the display disappear, so the
GUI chops off at the left,right,top,bottom.

Overscan settings in config.txt fix this for most applications, but not
for MythTV frontend.
eglfs - overscan settings seem to be completely ignored.
xcb - overscan settings are partially used, the width of picture is
reduced but the position is still top left so you  lose the top and left
of the GUI and get extra space at the bottom and right.

The other way of fixing the overscan is with the Front end Setup
Appearance page where you can set the width and position of the GUI and
whether playback should use the same settings.
eglfs - picture size settings are honored but position settings are
ignored, so that the top and left of the GUI are cut off and you get
extra space at the bottom and right. If you set playback to use the same
settings that is ignored, playback is still full screen with
top,left,bottom,right cut off.
xcb - picture size and position settings are honored so that the GUI is
displayed perfectly. If you set playback to use the same settings, the
size is honored but not the position so you get the top and left cut off
and extra space at the bottom and right.

I have a remote that uses the keyboard media keys. I use the "Setup
Keys" part of frontend setup to assign them appropriately.
eglfs - One media keys is not detected at all (STOP) and the others work
but with different codes from x-windows.
xcb - All media keys work.

OSD
eglfs - OSD works smoothly
xcb - OSD causes jerkiness

Subtitles
I am not seeing subtitles with either xcb or eglfs.
With normal front end on a particular show I get a choice of ATSC CC1
Subtitles or VBI CC1 subtitles. Either of these shows the same
subtitles, I don't know why two are shown.
With Raspberry Pi frontend I only see ATSC CC1 as a choice. Selecting it
says "Subtitles enabled" but they never appear on the screen.

Because of the issues with the display cutting off and the media key for
"stop" not working, xcb is preferable to me right now. I am using it
with an analog TV so there is no jerkiness whether I use eglfs or xcb.

Attached is my config.txt file.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Peter