[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 frontend testers

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Mon Nov 23 11:09:11 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-11-22 at 12:41 -0500, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> On 11/17/2015 02:24 PM, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> > If anyone would like to try it and provide some feedback then checkout
> > the fixes-0.27-rpi2 branch from here:
> > http://www.softsystem.co.uk/git/mythtv.git
> >

> I have done some more testing and I now have this set up on my kitchen
> TV. It is working great and perfectly usable. Some issues I noticed:
>
> 1. Video is jerky and audio is interrupted when running stand alone
> (QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs). It works fine (no jerkiness) under xwindows
> (QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb). So I am using it with xwindows. Following
> observations are in  that environment.

Are you using HDMI audio?  If so, this may be a bug that I need to look
at.

> 2. If you try to compensate for tv overscan by making the picture
> smaller in /boot/config.txt or by using appearance setup in the mythtv
> frontend setup, the video is shown at the requested smaller size but the
> offset is not used, so a small video comes at the top left hand side of
> the screen instead of centered. This only affects video playback, the
> GUI menus and lists honor the settings correctly. You can make the video
> smaller using the zoom feature while playing and that works correctly.

I wasn't sure exactly how all the zooming, centring etc worked in Myth
so I took a best guess.  Following the existing NVidia and Xv code was
gruelling.   I will go back and check.

> 3. If you pull up the menu while playing a recording (M key) or other
> OSD displays such as Info (I key), the video becomes jerky while the OSD
> is displayed.

This indicates that the OSD is falling back to CPU rendered softblend.
The opengl OSD uses EGL and requires Qt to run in EGLFS mode.

I really need to find out why the EGLFS mode is jerky on some RPi's.  I
have 2 RPis and they both play smoothly in EGLFS mode with SD and 1080p
video.  I have these settings in /boot/config.txt:

disable_overscan=1
hdmi_drive=2
# 1920x1080 @ 50Hz 16:9, clock:148MHz progressive
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=31

> 4. Subtitles do not work. You can select them but they do not display.

I see subtitles on liveTV (BBC 1) and on DVD playback.  Maybe this is
something to do with the opengl OSD only being available with EGLFS
mode.  What happens if you select softblend in TV settings?

> Great job. I hope we can get this in the official build. The above are
> minor issues and if they are restrictions that will be OK in my opinion.

My hope too.  Unfortunately, I've not had a lot of success in getting my
patches included.  I'll work at resolving the problems you identified.

-- Lawrence Rust