[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 frontend testers

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 16:12:30 UTC 2015

On 17/11/15 19:24, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> It's been a while since I last posted here but I've kept a watch on
> MythTV development and have seen lots of improvements.
>
> Recently I acquired a few Raspberry Pi2's for a project and thought it
> might be challenging to get one working with Myth using the integrated
> video hardware.  I've noticed a few other users talking about this too.
>
> I've had a Raspberry Pi2 running MythTV 0.27 frontend for about 6 weeks
> now and it feels fairly robust.  It uses the OpenMAX APIs to render
> video using the VideoCore hardware with hardware de-interlacing.  It
> also includes an optional OpenMAX MPEG decoder (£2 license required)
> that provides hardware decoding.  The OSD can either be softblend or EGL
> based OpenGL2.  It also supports visualisation, PiP and PbP.  Audio is
> best served via ALSA and there are 2 patches to make ALSA work nicely on
> a RPi2
>
> The patches (32 in total) also include an OpenGLES2 based video renderer
> and OpenGL GUI although the GUI (based on Qt 5.4) is still a little
> flaky - the Qt GUI is much more stable.
>
> If anyone would like to try it and provide some feedback then checkout
> the fixes-0.27-rpi2 branch from here:
> http://www.softsystem.co.uk/git/mythtv.git
>
> The server is running on a RPi2 too so give it some time :-)
>
> Cross build and runtime instructions for a Debian based host are here:
> http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythtv_for_rpi.txt
>
> A pre-built archive (93MB) is available here:
> http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythtv-v0.27.5-74-g921a92e-RPI2.tar.bz2
>
> To try this, after downloading on the RPi, follow the runtime
> instructions in mythtv_for_rpi.txt (above).
>
> If there's a demand I could port the changes to current master too.
>
> Comments and suggestions please.
>
> -- Lawrence Rust

Lawrence,

Great work!

I setup 0.27 fixes backend with DVB-T tuner and have noticed the
following (openmax is setup, gpu_mem 256, using eglfs):

1. Immediate seg fault when accessing Programme Guide within Live TV,
Programme Guide displays ok outside of Live TV, then need to reboot the
pi2 as it no longer responds to keyboard input.

2. Attempting to set a Recording from Programme Guide always fails:
    Driver error was [2/1048]:
    QMYSQL3: Unable to execute statement
    Database error was:
    Column 'next_record' cannot be null

    I note the backend  is using qt4 (Ubuntu ppa 0.27/fixes install) is
this a qt4/5 issue ?

3. Possible gpu memory leak when live TV playing and Playback data
on-screen (keyboard "m" > Playback > Playback Data). bcmstat utility
(https://github.com/MilhouseVH/bcmstat) shows GPU free memory slowly
reducing when run with the "g" option from ssh console.

I have a mythtv 0.28 test system available (with DVB-S/S2 tuners) and
would be happy to help with any testing.

I tried building from source, but am having trouble with qtwebkit not
building - any tips ?

Mike