[mythtv-users] Trouble with channels

Ross Boylan rossboylan at stanfordalumni.org
Fri Nov 20 23:29:43 UTC 2015

I've had problems getting channels setup.  Let me start at the end:
when I try to exit mythtv-setup it says "Card 6 (type MPEG2TS) is set
to start on channel 7-1, which does not exist."  It repeats the
message for Card 8, and then has buttons that say "Yes Please" (though
there's no question) and "No, I know what I am ..." where the ... is
in the original.  But I do have channel 7-1.

In input connections the list of possible starting channels has 7_1 on
the very bottom, and then another entry where it would be expected
(i.e., between 5 and 9, instead of after 66).  I switched both cards
to the "regular" 7_1 and now can exit setup.

History, with problem area noted with ->:
Running Debian Jessie with Marillat's packaging of myth 0.27.5 in an
amd64 virtual machine with HDHomerun tuner on the network.  This is a
replacement for a previous VM doing the same thing; it's backing hard
disk failed.

The HDHR has 2 tuners, both of which were detected.  However, during
the entry of capture cards I accidentally created an entry for a DVB
card.
-> I couldn't see a way to delete a single card.  So I deleted all and
recreated the 2 HDHR tuners.

Video source is schedules direct.  I clicked on retrieve lineups.

Input connections: I did "scan for channels" on the both cards, but
import an existing scan for the second.  On the second one (I think) I
got lots of messages about updating, adding and deleting channels,
including mentions of "78 old ATSC", "3 old MPEG"and MPEG.  I accepted
the defaults.  At first I tried to go manually, but
-> For each channel it wanted me to enter the channel number, even
though it already had it.

Channel editor:
-> I couldn't figure out what this was for; even after reading the
manual I can't figure out why it's necessary.
==> Initially only about 4 channels were displayed (7-1 was one of
them).  I redid the scan from here and got a full list.
-> I was hoping this would be a chance to prune the list of channels
to the ones I'm interested in.  I haven't figured out a good way to do
that in myth (I have managed to limit the channels shown in the
schedule).
-> Why does the gui have delete all but not delete?
-> "Hide Channels without a channel number" starts with a red X next
to it.  This can be cleared, or toggled to a yellow checkmark.  Aside
from the fact that I don't know how you can have a channel without a
channel number, I can't tell what these 3 different states mean.
-> Why is there a channel scan here at all?

Yours in puzzlement.
Ross Boylan

P.S. I have a theory about where the short list came from.  Apparently
when you reuse a scan the default is to use the earliest, not the most
recent.  So I guess the earliest scan, maybe associated with the bogus
card, was messed up.