[mythtv-users] Mythtvbackend Setup Crashes

Mike Holden mikeholden99+mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 21:12:22 UTC 2015

On 20 November 2015 at 05:05, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> I'm running mythbuntu 14.04 (0.27.5) with the latest updates.  For the
> last couple of weeks, while I'm watching recordings, I get these window
> popups (from apport I think) reporting that a service has crashed.  Each
> time it is mythtvbackend setup that has crashed.  Why would mythtvbackend
> setup even be running?  mythtvbackend - yes, mythtvfrontend - yes,
> mythtvbackend setup - why?
>
> Is there some bug in mythtvbackend setup introduced recently that is
> causing this?  Do other users see this?  Why would mythtvbackend setup even
> be running?

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago that I meant to report.
We were without internet for a while due to a falling tree taking out the
connection to the outside world.
The python script that grabs metadata for each new recording (tmdb.py?) was
failing due to the lack of connection to the website, and was failing with
an error that the error reporter was picking up.
Even more annoyingly, it kept popping up a window which took focus, asking
for the admin password to view the error report.
This is on Fedora 21.
I tweaked the error reporter settings in the end, which reminds me I
probably ought to change it back. I had never seen this popup behaviour
before though, as it catches errors occasionally from various parts of the
system, and normally just puts a notification icon in the tray.

Don't know if the severity of the error raised can be reduced from this
python script?
--
Mike Holden