[mythtv-users] [mythtv] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 frontend testers

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 19 17:25:40 UTC 2015

On 11/19/2015 08:21 AM, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-11-18 at 16:37 -0500, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
>> I installed it on Wheezy and it is working!
>>
>> The video is a bit jerky, I suspect I may not have the mpeg2 licence
>> correctly set up.
> For maximum performance setup your RPi for 256MB GPU RAM.  Then create a
> custom OpenMAX playback profile using the OpenMAX decoder, OpenMax
> renderer using the opengl2 OSD.  Also ensure to select the Advanced
> Deinterlacer (HW).
>
>> I am running it from a terminal inside the GUI.  One thing strange,
>> after I exit I see it is trying to execute in bash all the keystrokes
>> from when I was running mythtv. Temporarily adding a cat after the
>> command that runs the frontend to catch those.
> Best to run without X.
>
>> When playing a video that is widescreen with 4x3 monitor - there is junk
>> left over in the top and bottom bars on the screen which would normally
>> be black.
> That's an issue that I have on my TODO list.
>
> -- Lawrence Rust

I checked the settings you mentioned above as well as my mpeg2 license.
I already had them correct.

Running it without X and with the parameter QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs
results in jerky video, sound interruptions and lip sync problems.

However, running under the GUI (startx) with parameter
QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb results in perfect video and audio!

I am running on a 1280x1024 screen and playing 1080i video. Perhaps the
scaling under eglfs is inefficient?

One issue with running under startx - the audio does not work (I just
hear silence) unless I first start "Sonic Pi" and then shut it down
again. Seems like the X interface to audio is not being initialized?

I installed my favorite theme (Steppes) and now I no longer have the
problem of junk in the top and bottom parts of letterbox view.

It is looking really good! Thank you!

Peter