[mythtv-users] mythconverg_backup.pl inefficiencies

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 13:49:35 UTC 2015

On 11/19/15 8:27 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Yes, for several reasons.  The first and most important is because a)
> backup is, given sufficient I/O bandwidth, very quick while compression
> is relatively slow*** and because mysqldump (the MySQL-provided script
> performing the backup) must lock tables to do its work, we want the
> backup to finish as quickly as possible in case MythTV is running

Got it.   So while the mythconverg_backup.pl script itself might take a
long time, the database locking time is minimized.

Perhaps a better modification for me might be to dump the database to
local storage first, and then pigz it to its final resting place.  And
yeah, I'm assuming that my use case is specific enough to not warrant a
change in the script mythtv-users-wide.

-WD