[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 frontend testers

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Tue Nov 17 19:24:32 UTC 2015

It's been a while since I last posted here but I've kept a watch on
MythTV development and have seen lots of improvements.

Recently I acquired a few Raspberry Pi2's for a project and thought it
might be challenging to get one working with Myth using the integrated
video hardware.  I've noticed a few other users talking about this too.

I've had a Raspberry Pi2 running MythTV 0.27 frontend for about 6 weeks
now and it feels fairly robust.  It uses the OpenMAX APIs to render
video using the VideoCore hardware with hardware de-interlacing.  It
also includes an optional OpenMAX MPEG decoder (£2 license required)
that provides hardware decoding.  The OSD can either be softblend or EGL
based OpenGL2.  It also supports visualisation, PiP and PbP.  Audio is
best served via ALSA and there are 2 patches to make ALSA work nicely on
a RPi2

The patches (32 in total) also include an OpenGLES2 based video renderer
and OpenGL GUI although the GUI (based on Qt 5.4) is still a little
flaky - the Qt GUI is much more stable.

If anyone would like to try it and provide some feedback then checkout
the fixes-0.27-rpi2 branch from here:
http://www.softsystem.co.uk/git/mythtv.git

The server is running on a RPi2 too so give it some time :-)

Cross build and runtime instructions for a Debian based host are here:
http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythtv_for_rpi.txt

A pre-built archive (93MB) is available here:
http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythtv-v0.27.5-74-g921a92e-RPI2.tar.bz2

To try this, after downloading on the RPi, follow the runtime
instructions in mythtv_for_rpi.txt (above).

If there's a demand I could port the changes to current master too.

Comments and suggestions please.

-- Lawrence Rust