[mythtv-users] Guide updates for CBS and TNT this evening

Robert Eden rmeden at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 17:32:00 UTC 2015

On 11/17/2015 2:41 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 4:08 AM, Robert Eden <rmeden at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Checking right before prime time won't give better data.
> Actually, by your own statement, this is not true, because
> you see peeks at 2am(*), so checking at (say) 6pm local time
> *may* give those people better data.

I meant to say "checking right before prime time won't give better data
than using the suggested time".

As far as which 2am, All of them. :) In my original post,  "2am whatever
timezone is used by the box."
I see spikes at 2am UTC (which is before Pacific prime time) and for 2am
each US time zone.

The "suggested time" algorithm does offer times between the data load
time and that day's Prime Time.

Different rules actually apply during the "2am" windows because I've
been able to somewhat get around bugs in
the MythTV algorithm and spread the load across the 2am hour (previously
big burst at at the "0" minute).
I periodically try and move folks out of the 2am window.

By doing this, I've reduced the need to spin up 4x normal servers to 3x
normal servers... Still, that's a big burst
at a non-optimal time, hence my periodic posts here.   I've tried
emailing users directly, but I'm not familiar
enough with MythTV to tell folks how to fix it.

BTW, as far as an email alert about the CBS change, I read about it
first here. :)  We didn't
get a out of band notification from Gracenote.

> I would appreciate confirmation that there
> is no conceivable code path such that the next suggested
> time would ever miss an update, and would be within (say)
> two hours of the data being available.  Since I have seen
> variances of the next suggested time in excess of two hours,
> I am skeptical that the recommendation is actually good for
> the customer if they want the most accurate data as soon
> as it is available (it might be good for SD, but that is not
> relevant for the customer).

The window is more than 2 hours. Say data is loaded  by 10am Central...
prime time starts at 7, so the
window is between 10am->6pm giving an hour for post processing. That's a
nice 8 hour window
to spread the load.

> (***) Which, of course, can be "prime time" or any time.
> I do not think SD should be in the business of telling people
> exactly what shows they are allowed to consider important
> (some people want their "soaps", or "Dr. Phil", or "SpongeBob",
> and others only care about the Big Game).

True.. "prime time" isn't necessarily the time that's important to you,
but it's not my definition.

Robert
Schedules Direct