[mythtv-users] MP4 subtitles

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 21:45:31 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM, John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 8/22/2013 12:04 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:

>>> implemented in MythTV, but since ffmpeg seems to understand the tx3g
>>> format, it should be doable.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>
>>> I used HandBrake to create the same sample in a mkv container and mythtv
>>> can display the subtitles just fine.
>>>
>>> I should have actually tested before posting.  The subtitles in the
>> sample display properly for me in mythfrontend, using Master.  Most likely,
>> this is a deficiency in the version of ffmpeg that was used with 0.25.
>>

> Just to close on this discussion.  Others confirmed that your sample does
> not show subtitles in either 0.25 or 0.26.  This strongly suggests a
> problem in older versions of ffmpeg, but fixed recently enough that some
> ffmpeg resync for 0.27 has the fix (as does vlc).  Presumably the older
> ffmpeg recognizes this subtitle type inside a mkv container but not mp4.
>
> Jim

Hopefully it's OK to piggyback on this post.

Comcast in our area recently started moving its channels to MP4
compression.  While I appreciate the file size savings, I can no longer
view captions.  VLC shows them fine.

Mediainfo reports:

Text #1
ID                                       : 4268 (0x10AC)-CC1
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : EIA-608
Muxing mode                              : SCTE 128 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
Duration                                 : 1h 2mn
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Text #2
ID                                       : 4268 (0x10AC)-1
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : EIA-708
Muxing mode                              : SCTE 128 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
Duration                                 : 1h 2mn
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Text #3
ID                                       : 4268 (0x10AC)-2
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : EIA-708
Muxing mode                              : SCTE 128 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
Duration                                 : 1h 2mn
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)

mythbackend --version
MythTV Version : 68e51d6fd4fa25e985b21cb3a5b5ca6fce9aca9d
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27
Network Protocol : 77
Library API : 0.27.20151025-1
QT Version : 4.8.5
Options compiled in:
 linux release use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_backend
using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_frontend using_hdhomerun
using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_libcrypto using_libfftw3
using_libxml2 using_libudf using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video
using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2
using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_mythlogserver using_bindings_python
using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau
using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libxml2 using_libudf