[mythtv-users] Frontend for Apple TV 4

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Nov 13 19:07:44 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:42:49PM -0500, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 11:51 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 09:54:42AM -0500, Tom Bongiorno wrote:

> > being
> > slice

> > [deletia]
> >

> > > You are correct, you are getting cynical. Again, none of the low power
> > > streaming devices natively support MPEG2 for good reason. None of the
> > > streaming services, that they were created to serve, stream in MPEG2. And
> >
> >     That's a stupid reason. That ingores one of the original use cases
> > for home video, namely creating your own content. People already have
> > stuff. These aren't even terribly geeky people. They have it because
> > previous generations of devices used those old formats.

[deletia]

> Outside of our niche group, MythTV users and the like, who is creating
> their own MPEG2 content?

     Anyone with an older camera or phone. There are plenty of rubes that can
point a camera and hit the record button. Even if they've moved on to "newer
and flashier" devices, they are still likely have old stuff that now might as
well be on VHS tape.

     It's easy to forsee a time when h264 is treated as a marginal legacy
format for similar reasons.