[mythtv-users] Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH setup problems :(

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 12 16:57:02 UTC 2015

On 11/11/2015 04:54 PM, fordy ydrof wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>   For years I've had haupague cards (both analogue and (Clear QAM)
> digital) in my mythtv backends -- which has been nice and all, but my
> cable provider is discontinuing analogue service and going all
> digital. (analogue service to end next month sometime I think..)
>   With schedules direct I've been able to have two schedules "Cox" and
> "CoxDigital" and use "Cox" as the input for analogue tuners, and
> "CoxDigital" for the clear qam digital tuners from haupague..  which
> has worked just fine.
>
>   I declined the "mini boxes" that Cox was offering and requested
> cable cards (and the switched digital tuning adapters) -- so now i
> have 2 cables cards, and 2 tuning adapters.
>
>   I ordered myself a Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH -- and tried to set it up
> last night (and failed in probably a variety of ways -- which leads to
> this email)
>
> I believe the cable card and tuning adapter part are ok (after calling
> my cable company and giving the info to set up the cards and tuner):
> the Ceton says "Validated, validation message is received,
> authenticated, and the IDs match those in the current binding" for the
> cable card, and the light is solid (no longer flashing) on the tuning
> adapter -- according to this page
> (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ceton_InfiniTV_4#Your_Cable_Company) it
> sounds like i'm on the right track so far..
>
> I tried in mythtvsetup to create a 3rd video source that I called
> "CoxAllDigital" -- but schedules direct would only show two -- so i
> gave up and deleted "CoxAllDigital" in mythtvsetup  (did i go wrong here?)
>
> now i have the 6 ceton tuners setup in mythtvsetup with "CoxDigital"
> as their source. And i ran mythfilldatabase (with various combinations
> of "--dd-grab-all" "--do-channel-updates" and
> "--only-update-channels"  (what assortment of ways did i go wrong here?)
>

> in mythweb 'status' shows all teh tuners, and shows a believable-ish
> list of upcoming recordings (though it isn't clear that they are
> digital versions of channels) scheduled for the ceton tuners -- seems ok?
>
> however -- mythweb 'upcoming recordings' fails to show anything other
> than a blank web page :(   (how do i fix this?)
>
> and -- mythweb 'listings' shows a handful of channels (far from the
> complete list though), none with any tv shows
>
> despite all this, *some* shows are getting recorded by via the ceton
> (but the vast majority are 0 bytes) (how is this fixed?)
>
> i'm hoping all these have the same answer :) -- and i'd welcome any
> insights or ideas on what the next steps are
>

> (btw, i've already tried optimize_mythdb.pl
> <http://optimize_mythdb.pl> and mysqlcheck --auto-repair -A -u mythtv
> -pmythtv --- no change in the situation with either)
>

> and beyond the immediate problem -- i'm not sure what cox is going to
> do, but i'm guessing that the local broadcast channels will still be
> in Clear QAM -- so the digital side of the huapuge tuners should still
> [...]

I see an awful lot of questions here!

I have been using Ceton ETH 6 successfully for a long time - it was very
easy to set up.

Do you have the latest version 0.27?  There was a fix for a ceton ETH
issue some time back.

First - video sources - you do not need to set up anything new in
schedules direct for a new video source unless it has a different list
of channels. Set up the new video source with your existing Schedules
direct.

Look at the channel list on the ceton with the URL
http://ipaddress/view_channel_map.cgi?page=0

Go to the ceton with http://ipaddress, select a tuner, enter a channel
number and Click "Set Channel". Then go to the status page for that
tuner and see what it says for Copy Protection. If it says "Copy Free"
(00) you will be able to watch and record that channel. If it has
anything else like copy once you are out of luck and you will have to
get the cable company to change it.

Once you find that a channel shows "Copy Free" test it with Live TV on
Myth to see if it works.

Comcast has a policy for setting everything as copy free except premium
channels, I don't know about Cox.

Extra cable card - if you were with Comcast that would be costing an
extra $10 per month so I would return it. Do you need to record more
than 6 channels at once?

Peter