[mythtv-users] Frontend for Apple TV 4

Tom Bongiorno tbjr at bongohut.com
Tue Nov 10 14:54:42 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 6:37 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>
wrote:

> jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>
> > Apple's apparent
> > hostility to MPEG2 has always intrigued me.
>
> Really simple and short answer - they don't give a **** because that
> doesn't earn them anything !
>
> Remember that Apple long since abandoned all but a pretence about it being
> about "the customer" - now it's clear that the whole strategy is about
> proprietary systems, customer locking, walled gardens, and taking a slice
> (30%) of everything the user spends.
>
> Perhaps I'm just getting cynical, but I get the impression that any
> ability they offer to access "your own stuff" is incidental and only
> allowed grudgingly on the basis that they can't get away with not
> supporting it (yet).

You are correct, you are getting cynical. Again, none of the low power
streaming devices natively support MPEG2 for good reason. None of the
streaming services, that they were created to serve, stream in MPEG2. And
as Gary mentioned, there is a licensing fee associated with the format. We
are hoping to augment the functionality of the device.

Apple's walled garden is both a blessing and a curse for consumers. The
very good thing is that the ATV does not dominate the market and we have
many choices.