[mythtv-users] Frontend for Apple TV 4

Tom Bongiorno tbjr at bongohut.com
Tue Nov 10 01:20:31 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 7:06 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 10:09 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> > ... Apple's apparent
> > hostility to MPEG2 has always intrigued me.
>
> At (around) $2/unit shipped, that is real money.
> Somewhere north of a billion dollars for all iDevices
> sold (and even to Apple, a billion dollars matters).

Not to mention that basically none of these low power streaming devices
have native support for MPEG2. This is certainly not unique to Apple.

MPEG2 should be long dead by now, but cable operator still utilize this
format. Fortunately, we are seeing signs of cable operators in the US
slowly transitioning to MPEG4, and potentially making this a moot point.