[mythtv-users] Seek Table Hell

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sun Nov 8 05:09:17 UTC 2015

> On 7 Nov 2015, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> Recordings that I make *can* be seeked on my Samsung TV
>>
>> transcoded videos
>> eg mythtranscode -i /store/1010_20151017130400.mpg -o Movies/SomethingAboutMary.mpg --honorcutlist --showprogress -m
>> with or without -b cannot be seeked including
>> mythcommflag --video /store/Movies/SomethingAboutMary.mpg ?rebuild
>>
>> BUT using IOS 8player those same videos CAN be seeked (and I?ve not fiddled with the android uPnP including mythtv which transcodes again)
>>
>> I?m using using 0.27-4 fixes.
>> In the past I?ve rebuilt with AVI demux and been able to seek. Either I got the recipe wrong or that nolonger works.
>>
>> OK anyone I beg, I want to create a seekable video. How? Please!
>>
>> James
>
> The seek table created by mythcommflag is stored in the MythTV
> database, so is only usable by a frontend such as mythfrontend that
> accesses that seek table.  If you are not using such a frontend
> program, then you need to create a video file in a format that you can
> seek in without the use of the MythTV database, just using the
> contents of that video file.  Some video file formats work better than
> others, but what works depends on the software used to play the file,
> in this case, whatever software is built into your TV.  So you need to
> find out what format(s) the TV can handle and create something in that
> format.  See if your TV's documentation will tell you what is
> supported, or if Googling can tell you.
>
> If the TV has recent software, I would suggest an H.264/AAC format in
> an MP4 container, as that format fairly universally supported now. You
> would still need to know what H.264 "profiles" are supported by your
> TV, but if you encode using a "Main at L3.0" or below profile, it is
> likely to work.  Once you have it working, you can try higher profiles
> (like "Main at L3.1", or the  "High at L4.x" ones used for HD 1080p video)
> and see what works.  If you have a collection of various video files,
> try seeing what they are encoded as using the mediainfo program and
> then see which ones the TV will play properly.  Then you can encode to
> the same specifications as the ones that work.

Stephen thanks, you taught me a few things eg WHERE the seek table is kept

My woes continue:
My recordings *are* seekable. I’ve not checked the detail, they ‘just work’
My transcoded (to skip ads on uPnP) are not seekable BUT using avidemux and COPY video and audio stream into an avi container and they are seekable.
Instead of a two step process of mythtranscode then avidemux I would like to do it in one step. To confuse even more vlc can seek the mythtranscoded video without further ado (avidemux).

There’s deep wossname happening that I do not understand (VLC can seek Samgsung can’t) but my (avi) fiddle and samsung can on some container formats but not others.

1) Does anybody view uPnP on a Samsung with cutlist honoured? If so how?
2) Where can I learn

Thanks
James