[mythtv-users] DVB-T is trying to tune to PID 0x0

Mark perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 8 05:20:23 UTC 2015

...snip....

I still cannot get these Sony Play TV USB tuners to work properly.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the 'tune to PID 0x0' was the wrong direction.
I now believe the problem is either in the firmware or the DVB-USB-DIB0700
driver (although how that could be possible on a driver / firmware source
that has been rock stable and unchanged for the rest of the world for
something like 7 years completely escapes me, nonetheless that is my current
belief). The tune to PID 0x0 (I think) is just MythTV either looking for the
PMT or PAT and not finding it because the tuner is not passing it on or
something similar.

Once I get these working, they seem to remain working and stable. But
getting them to a 'working state' is a complete nightmare. The only way I
can get them 'working' is to repeatedly rmmod DVB-USB-DIB0700 / modprobe
DVB-USB-DIB0700 until the two tuner nodes get created correctly. Then I use
a usb reset script
(http://askubuntu.com/questions/645/how-do-you-reset-a-usb-device-from-the-c
ommand-line) to repeatedly reset the usb port until I successfully get
video. Sometimes it works right from first boot (very rarely). Usually it
takes about 2 x reload of the module and 5 x reset of the USB bus. Sometimes
I can sit there for literally hours. I have tried exhaustively to script the
process but they just don't perform consistently enough to allow this, and
every time I think I do get a script working they do something different and
throw it out.

In MythTV FE I can get TLMS (lock) but no picture. I can get TL__ for about
30sec and then suddenly get TL_S and video (although very, very rarely).
Normally it's just TL__ and nothing / timeout, or device stream handler
failed, or just plain unable to open device.

I have tried two motherboards (trying to eliminate USB hardware), two clean
installs of Centos 7, my main Ubuntu 14.04 install and a Mythbuntu LiveCD
all with exact same problems. I tried building the V4L drivers from source,
no improvement. I tried locking the USB ports to USB2 in bios, no
improvement. dmesg shows no hint of being a problem (until I have more than
5 plugged in at which time the first 4 devices (any 4, whichever ones get
loaded first) look fine but subsequent devices show error -23). I bought
more Sony PlayTV in case I had some dodgy ones but they all fail the same
way. And contrary to my earlier report that tzap worked consistently, it
doesn't. Using cat to save the stream to mpg sometimes works, but sometimes
I get data that's unplayable and sometimes I get nothing.  I have tried
dvbsnoop and things I can't even remember now and nothing has given any real
indication as to where the problem is, it just doesn't work for me.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know because I desperately want
to get these working and stable. But otherwise I have had enough and am
quitting them. I've spent literally every spare second and much of my sleep
time for two weeks and got nowhere.....