[mythtv-users] Frontend for Apple TV 4

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 18:46:17 UTC 2015

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am assuming that the AppleTV is doing software decoding, because none of
> the Apple APIs I know of support MPEG2, including Mac OS X devices which
> definitely do have the hardware support for it.

Almost all the SoCs hardware support it if the device support H.264.
It is licensing and APIs that are missing.  I believe (just as with no
Flash support) Apple thought that if they pointed the way, everyone
would go there.  And while H.264/5 may be the place most will end
up at, with the FCC's version of ATSC requiring MPEG2 in the US,
it is going to be a slow path for OTA customers.

So if it is all software, that likely means that quality motion compensated
de-interlacing is not part of the package.  As always, your display device
or your perception of the artifacts will vary (some people who can tell the
difference will choose to give up quality for price, as is their right).