[mythtv-users] Frontend for Apple TV 4

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 16:21:02 UTC 2015

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 6:08 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca>
wrote:

> > On Nov 7, 2015, at 12:24 AM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I was surprised to find a MythTV app in the Apple TV 4 app store.   So,
> I thought I would give it a try for the $4 app cost.
> >
> > It worked quite well for me.  It played my HD MPEG2 (US Broadcast)
> recordings quite well.  It doesn’t do live TV, schedule recordings, or any
> other mythfrontend features.. it just plays recordings.  But, that’s all I
> want from a frontend 95% of the time.
> >
> > The main thing I found lacking was the navigation.  Right/Left arrows
> didn’t do the skip forward/back you would expect.  You could only move in
> the video via the new remote’s touchpad control on the video timeline.
> That touchpad is probably great for a lot of things, but doing 30 second
> skips is not one of them.
> >
> > Overall, I thought it was a really solid first version.  If the skip
> forward/back controls are added it could become my primary frontend.
>
> What is the exact name?  Can you provide a link?

The name is “MythTV”.   I don’t think there are any web links to Apple TV
only apps - making them really hard to find.  I also didn’t find any other
reference to the app on the web prior to launch.   I guess the author is
not one for marketing.   The only current way to find it is to search
within the app store on the Apple TV.

> Re playing un-transcoded recordings, is your AppleTV on a wired connection
> or wireless (which flavour)?

I’m on wireless, 5GHz N / AC.  I’m guessing the new AppleTV is using AC.
My other frontends are on N-wireless, and all can do ATSC MPEG2 playback
just fine.  Obviously, your mileage may vary depending on your house and
wifi location.

> I don’t have a new Apple TV, but I understand that at least some players
> implement a 10 second skip forward/back by tapping on the right/left of the
> player bar.  Have you tried that?

I did try that.  I also tried input from IR to see if my universal remote
could control it.  Navigation worked fine, but skip ahead / back did not.

I later read the notes in the app listing (RTFM) and there it said slide up
on the touchpad is +30s, slide down is -8.   That works pretty well, and is
much better than trying to navigate the timeline.  But, I think the remote
goes into power savings mode pretty quickly, because it seems to miss the
first slide after long pauses.

When the remote is working, the skip ahead/back is pretty quick.   Not as
quick as a native frontend, but nothing is.  If it would react to IR
navigation in all four directions, like Mythfrontend, it would be a big
improvement.