[mythtv-users] Pixilization

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Fri Nov 6 01:10:36 UTC 2015

 Hi

Detail which may be important:

Antenna:  http://www.bunnings.com.au/antsig-metro-fringe-digital-outdoor-antenna_p4360385
Distance: 15km flat ground (to transmitters)
TV Cards: Winfast 2 channel USB
Tried:    DVICO PCI, TwinHam PCI, Haupauge Nova T2 (Which is the worst)
HOST:     i5 NUC, ASUS M2N68-CN (AMD 2 core 4G) Various similar AMD

On my NUC, using ARCH, I get occasional pixelization, more common on some channels than others. I could not create a DVD as I was unable to find a PIL (python graphics) module.

I installed mythbuntu to solve the DVD issue (after months of trying with ARCH). Pixilization was very-bad. I then booted (I set dual boot) arch and it was normal-occasional. I then rebooted mythbuntu and have not seen a speckle for a few days!

During this saga I have not retuned either system.
I have not checked if firmware is the same.
It certainly looks like myth (0.27-4 fixes, but the basic issue has been the same over many releases) is contributing.
The cards, motherboard have no, and the antenna choice has minor effect.

At the moment my system is working very well using mythbuntu, but being at the end of such ‘impossible’ events leaves me very unsettled. Any comment or suggestions are welcome.

James