[mythtv-users] Looking to switch to FreeSat from FreeView in the UK

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at gmail.com
Sun May 31 21:38:25 UTC 2015

Hi, I'm currently running Myth 0.27 on OpenSuSE, and am looking at
switching from Freeview to Freesat.

I currently have 4 USB DVB-T (Hauppauge WinTV-NOA-T-Stick) tuners and
would like to replace them with DVB-S (or maybe DVB-S2) tuners.

Looking at the Wiki, I seem to be limited to a couple of devices:

 1. Turbosight TBS5922/25/80
 2. Pinnacle PCTV 460/1e

The TurboSight seems to be a more involved device with CAM support etc.
and external power. This device seems a little unwieldy, currently my
Nova-T  cards need no external power and are stick sized, so I'm not
sure I'm keen on switching to something that's apparently so bulky.

Looking on the likes of Amazon, all of the Pinnacle devices available
seem to be from Germany with a few warnings about QWERTZ (that make no
sense, as why does the keyboard mapping change on a USB stick?!). There
are comments about an external power supply (which may well be the
German reference), but it also "seems" to be optional.

Alternatively there's the TBS6984/5 PCIe Quad Tuner device, however I'm
always a little wary of going down the plugged-in card route, it's much
easier to change out a single USB stick if it dies than fixing one tuner
on a multi tuner card, plus if the card goes I lose all tuners. Having
said that, if that's the only solution then fine.

Does anyone out there have a working USB DVB-S/DVB-S2 setup (or the TBS
card one), and can recommend a hardware config? I appears that the same
"multiple channels per multiplex" rule from DVB-T applies here, so I
assume I will only need 4 tuners, but I suppose that depends on how many
channels per multiplex there are.

Cheers
Gordon