[mythtv-users] advice on recording direct to NAS

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Wed May 27 03:26:25 UTC 2015

> On 26 May 2015, at 6:36 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>>> Hi all, looking for advice:
>>>
>>> Background: I?ve just lost a second HDD in 6months and its getting very,
>>> very, very annoying.
>>>
>>> I have a NAS that would have capacity to record to, but have not done so
>>> because of concern for failed recordings due to potential inconsistencies
>>> in network and / or NAS performance. I run 4 HDD in my mythbackend
>>> supporting 30tuners (nominal worst case 8 recordings at a time due to
>>> overlap of pre/post roll).
>> [snip]
>>
>> I?m amazed at the general opposition to the concept. Seagate?s ATA more than an interface paper says that if you have more than 1 disk in a box then you *will* have disk failures,
>> Does this describe you?
>>
>> If you get NAS with an array and they use commercial not enterprize disks make sure they have vibration resistant mounting for each disk (some do)
>> James
>
> James, I didn't follow your point. Are you saying that having >1 disk in a machine *will* cause disk failures?
>
> I find it hard to believe that a machine with only 1 disk won't have failures. Even 1 disk in a machine *will* cause failures. Eventually. Sometime between now and the year 4020 most likely.

I don’t say, seagate does, but the Homer Simpson test of 'is it true' says plausable:
Their argument is Disk1 seeks and the vibration knocks Disk2 off track so Disk2 seeks knocking Disk1 off track ad infinitem

> Or was your point about resistance to recording direct to a NAS?

My mate used a WD NAS box without vibration mounting and within 6 months had (dunno the technical detail) enough failures to render the raid array broken. He replaced disks, mounted each disk on 4 small blobs of silicone rubber and years have passed with nary a peep. (archaic english meaning with no problems)
The *only* issue is that the backend streams to the frontend but if you have (or had ?) local files then frontend plays local (NFS) files.
He thinks it is a good solution to use NAS+RAID and it works well for him.
James