[mythtv-users] Recording Rule Help

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri May 22 23:27:00 UTC 2015

On 22 May 2015 at 23:44, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com> wrote:
> Accidentally sent this to the wrong group.
>
> Recently, a program that I regularly record has begun airing on the same day
> at an earlier time on a different channel.  MythTV is now scheduling this
> airing, but I would prefer it to still record the airing on the other
> channel, unless it is not being aired on the other channel.
>
> So I want the new programs to always get recorded (on any channel), but on a
> specific channel when available there.  For now, I use an override for each
> week (when I remember) to record a specific showing (the channel I prefer).
> I'm looking for a way to make this automatic so I do not need to remember to
> make the override.

Create two new rules for the program using the EPG, each using the
"This Channel" filter (select a showing from each channel to do this).
Disable/delete the current rule.

Specify a higher priority for the recording rule for your preferred
channel, so that the scheduler calculates higher overall priorities
for the showings on your favoured channel. These will be considered
first.

Specify a lower priority for the other rule so that it will pick up
any remaining showings on the non-favoured channel.

Some versions of MythTV have a "Reschedule higher priorities" option -
this wants to be disabled if the option is available in your version.

Nick