[mythtv-users] HDHR Prime queries

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Fri May 22 21:52:01 UTC 2015

On Fri, 22 May 2015, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> Well, yes, and no.  There is a new model of the DTA being offered
> in some markets without RF output, but most DTAs output NTSC
> (ch 3 or 4 usually can be selected) so that your existing NTSC recorders
> could (in theory) work.  Of course you then need an IR blaster to
> change the channels on the DTAs.  There are lots of old(er) threads
> regarding using the DTAs this way when they were first made
> available.
>
> While still limited to NTSC Standard Definition, you can likely get
> more of your channels.

Thanks for the info, Gary. I wasn't sure what an "RF output" was, so I
googled it. Looks to me like it's just a coaxial hook-up. Apparently the
DTA converts the signal to analog and sends it (as RF signal?) out that
hook-up; a coaxial cable running from that to an analog tuner would allow
one to view/record otherwise unviewable/unrecordable content, albeit in
SD. Have I understood correctly? I think I understand the general concepts
behind the IR blaster stuff, since, once upon a time, I was considering
setting up a remote that way.