[mythtv-users] Adding Kodi Library to Myth

Andréas Kühne andreas at kuhne.se
Fri May 22 16:34:05 UTC 2015

> On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 9:19 AM Michael Wisniewski <mikewiz38 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I have a pretty extensive library of files that are mp4 and mkv and used
>>> within Kodi.  They are also organized pretty well (IE: Show\Season x\Show
>>> Name-Number.mkv), and many of them have nfo's that are read by Kodi.
>>>
>>> I have a dual-boot machine right now with Myth's Frontend and Kodi for
>>> the other boot.  I do this because Myth is a lot better and nicer to use
>>> for Live TV, but yet I've used Kodi for years and like viewing my library
>>> within there.
>>>
>>> Fairly recently, I need to watch a show from Myth, but rebooting takes
>>> awhile.  I would like to add the Kodi Library to MythTV, but I don't want
>>> to mess the library up within Kodi.  In order to do this, do I just add a
>>> 'storage group' on the backend for the Kodi library?  Is there a better way
>>> to do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advanced.
>>

>> Kodi works on Linux too.
>>

> I know....  Kodi's Live TV section, IMHO, is bad compared to Myth.  The
> EPG is almost impossible to read with Confluence.  I know I can use another
> skin, but I'm use to Confluence throughout everywhere else and prefer
> it....everywhere except the EPG.  Also, trying to have guests here
> (babysitters) use Kodi with Live TV is more complicated than Myth.  A few
> clicks with Kodi and you are somewhere and confused (live background on
> main screen).  With Myth, it's easy to get back to Live TV.
>
> Until Kodi changes the skin to make the EPG guide easier to use, I'm going
> to continue to use Myth for the frontend too.  There's also some other
> features that make Myth a bit nicer to use than Kodi.  I know there was a
> discussion about Kodi vs Myth a few days ago and didn't really want to turn
> it back into the discussion again.  I love Myth for Live TV, I love Kodi
> for my video library.

I think you missunderstod. You don't have to dual boot for kodi to work.
You can just install kodi on the linux machine you are using for mythtv and
then add a menu item to start kodi from mythtv. That way you'll never have
to reboot.

You can also add your library to the videos section on the mythtv backend.
That way it'll be accessible via the mythtv frontend.

Regards,

Andréas