[mythtv-users] What's the deal with Kodi?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Fri May 22 15:52:02 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:

> On 20/05/2015 22:44, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

>>> Oh, you are making the common mistake of equating Android and Google.
>> While yes, nearly 100% of people have Google's applications and services
>> on their Android devices, it's not a requirement.  There's nothing
>> forcing you to add a Google account and therefore use Google apps.
>>
>> You can happily run an Android device free of Google if you want.
>>
>>  Ha, its not like Apple or Blackberry can claim the moral high ground
>>> there...
>>>
>> Indeed.  Can you even use an iPhone or a Blackberry without their
>> equivalent of Big Brothering you?  At least you can with Android.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> b.
>>
> I should have expanded on my 'big brother' comment. Of course they are
> 'all the same'. It's also the 'monopoly' aspect that bothers me. And google
> are the masters of this.

This is why people run Kodi and Android for a Myth FE alternative:
1) Android runs on cheap devices.
2) Kodi runs on Android.
3) Kodi has Myth support.

If there was a cheap device that ran Myth that wasn't Android, people would
run that. But there isn't at this time. The ARM Myth port isn't on par with
the x86 builds AFAIK. And while x86 devices like the ECS Liva are getting
much cheaper and usable (finally down to $99), They still cost as much as
two configured Raspberry Pi 2s.