[mythtv-users] What's the deal with Kodi?

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Fri May 22 15:34:11 UTC 2015

On 20/05/2015 22:44, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-05-20 at 17:16 -0400, Brendan Kearney wrote:
>> On 05/20/2015 04:47 PM, Damian wrote:
>>> It's a 'big brother' thing. Google are amazing at creating tools that
>>> make people 'want' to willingly give them their private information.
> Oh, you are making the common mistake of equating Android and Google.
> While yes, nearly 100% of people have Google's applications and services
> on their Android devices, it's not a requirement.  There's nothing
> forcing you to add a Google account and therefore use Google apps.
>
> You can happily run an Android device free of Google if you want.
>
>> Ha, its not like Apple or Blackberry can claim the moral high ground
>> there...
> Indeed.  Can you even use an iPhone or a Blackberry without their
> equivalent of Big Brothering you?  At least you can with Android.
>
> Cheers,
> b.
I should have expanded on my 'big brother' comment. Of course they are
'all the same'. It's also the 'monopoly' aspect that bothers me. And
google are the masters of this.

If I thoughtlessly took the 'easy route', I'd use google for search,
android os's, google maps, google calendar, gmail, google docs etc etc etc.

I wouldn't trust a democratically elected government enough to willingly
give them all of that information (I am well aware that they will be
getting most of it without my consent). There's no way I'd trust a
single company whose motive is profit and pleasing their share holders.

So, I use google for search, my own domains for email, linux and
microsoft os's, bing maps, my own hosted calendars, SpiderOak (zero
knowledge) for backup  etc etc etc.

I don't know much about Android to be honest. I just know that I
fundamentally don't trust google and Android just gives me a bad feeling
inside. Linux gives me a good feeling. Android to me feels like Linux
being abused and manipulated for google's goals.

Again, not trying to convince anyone else, it's just how I sleep at night.

Cheers,
Damian