[mythtv-users] Infinite "Please Wait" watching recordings

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu May 21 22:46:06 UTC 2015

Hoi Hika,

Friday, May 22, 2015, 12:41:11 AM, you wrote:

> Hoi Mike,

> Friday, May 22, 2015, 12:06:12 AM, you wrote:

>>> I have dhcp, but I have reserved fixed IP addresses in the router for
>>> the front ends and back end and I have the IP addresses in the hosts
>>> files, so I do not think this is causing a problem.
>>>
>> Another fun system that can cause similar effects to the above is
>> network-manager. This would insist on dropping my connection every so many
>> minutes and remaking it, static dhcp IP addresses and all.

>> network-manager is completely unnecessary either on back end or front end unless
>> you need the wifi functionality, in which cases dropped connections are a known
>> hazard. It is easy enough to remove.

> Besides that, even with static addresses set in your dhcp server,
> leases are renewed every now and then. I see it coming by in the logs.
> In essence static that way means a lease set with indeterminate
> length.

Or depending on the dhcp server it even can be of the same length as a
normal lease, so it needs renewing every hour/day or so (depending on
the set lease time. The only static part being the address being
offered by the server.

> I don't know if anything is then reinitialized, but for this
> kind of systems, just like with servers, it is always safest to set it
> hard in the machines configuration and that also means not through an
> agent like networkmanager. The later I don't even use for wifi.

Tot mails,
  Hika Alina Maria van den Hoven                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop