[mythtv-users] HDHR Prime queries

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Thu May 21 21:46:27 UTC 2015

On Thu, 21 May 2015, Tom Hayward wrote:

> Note that the HDHR Prime cannot tune OTA ATSC, only digital cable.

The ATSC part of the equation has been solved all along, Tom. In fact, I
wanted to sell the original HDHR (HDHR4-2US) because it merely replicated
ATSC/clear QAM tuning I already had on my system. And, furthermore, once
analog cable ends and my HVR-1950's will no longer be devoted to tuning
that, I'll have the option of tuning ATSC with them as well, since they're
supposed to be capable of that. So I've got ATSC tuning possibilities out
the wazoo, as they say. No, I didn't end up with the HDHR3 with the
intention of tuning ATSC: rather, I thought it could provide me some
learning opportunities and may, whether in the shorter or longer
term--however long it will take them to fully implement DRM, at which
point I bail completely on cable--allow me to bring in some encrypted
cable.

In fact, I just stopped in at the TWC store and picked up an M-card to
begin some initial experiments. They tried to give me a digital transport
adapter along with it, but I declined. I'm interested, initially, to see
what (if anything) comes in without the DTA. I'll report back on that.