[mythtv-users] HDHR Prime queries

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Thu May 21 11:14:59 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 12:46 AM, James Miller
<gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org> wrote:

> So what I'm hoping I might do is test out some recordings from the command
> line. I know there's a CLI utility for interfacing with the HDHR Prime and
> I've done a couple of channel scans with it. I believe I've read that
> recordings can be made using this utility as well--is that correct? What
> would be great for this initial, testing phase, would be some script like
> the one for dvb tuners that's included in this Gentoo wiki article
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/TV_Tuner and that, using mencoder, dumps the
> dvb tuner's output, for a specified interval, to a file (a similar but much
> more complex and capable script that uses dd can be found at
> http://rogerx.freeshell.org/files/bin/record-dvb.sh). With something of that
> sort, a cron job could be set up to do some test recordings with the HDHR
> Prime. So, would it be possible to create a command line script such as that
> for the HDHR Prime? Or is there maybe something along these lines already in
> existence?

I've never tried it.  The HDHR prime is a network device and does not
appear under /dev, so most of those guides will not work.  I wouldn't
be surprised if there are command-line tools for recording using it.

> Finally, I'll just ask for confirmation on whether the impression that I've
> gotten that it can be sort of a headache to get the HDHR Prime-with-M-card
> set up and working under MythTV is correct. I seem to recall reading
> accounts of long telephone sessions with cable company tech support before
> things were finally gotten to work. Can anyone confirm either a smooth or
> difficult process of getting this tuner with M-card operational on a MythTV
> system?

I've been using an HDHR3-CC without issue.  You do need to have it
activated, but getting it running with FIOS was just a quick phone
call.  Getting it working with MythTV was easy once it was activated.

Once or twice along the way I've had to power-cycle it, and I think on
one occasion I even had to get Verizon to re-activate it (and they
helpfully reset some of my router settings while they were at it
without telling me - always nice to have a second authoritative DHCP
server show up on the network without warning).

--
Rich